When Do You Need a Build over Agreement

There will of course be a fee for your construction application – but the amount depends on the water company in question and sometimes the size of the sewer. In October 2011, a law was passed stipulating that all existing private sewers and all newly built sewers should be automatically passed by the Water Authority in the area where they are located. For example, Welsh Water for Wales, Thames Water for London, etc. These water authorities are required by law to maintain these public sewers, which also means that they have the legal right to enter the property where these pipes are located to carry out work on them. So if you have a sewer pipe running through your garden, then if that pipe needs to be repaired or replaced, the water authority has the right to come to your property to do work on that pipe, provided they make up the land or compensate you accordingly, depending on the circumstances. It also means that anyone planning to build within 3 metres or above a public sewer must obtain permission from the water authority before doing so. This is to prevent the sewer system from collapsing due to the extra weight of a new building and ultimately leading to structural damage to the property. Greg is a drainage expert and has been in business for over 30 years. He is the owner of Coastal Drains Ltd and a very, very friendly guy.

View all articles from Greg Child A construction agreement is a document in which the owner assures the local water authority that the work to be done will not negatively affect the public sewer below or near. It also sets the local water authority`s access rights to the sewer so that it can continue to be repaired and maintained by them. If you plan to build near or above an adopted sewer, you should contact the local water authority before starting the work to find out their requirements. The above two options are viable alternatives instead of a construction agreement if none have been reached at that time. It`s important to keep them in mind, especially if you`re selling the property, as construction through a public sewer can cause problems with a sale and isn`t acceptable to most mortgage lenders, which is why you`ll need an alternative arrangement like the options above. The approval of your water authority is a seal of approval that your work does not compromise the structural integrity of the sewer pipe and vice versa. It also shows that they are happy that once construction is complete, they will have proper access for the maintenance of their sewer. If the required permit is not obtained, the water authority has the right to remove all structures that block their access and is not responsible for any damage they may cause in the process. Different water utilities also have slightly different processes for applying for a construction contract. We regularly work with Thames Water, Southern Water and Anglian Water and are used to providing applications on behalf of our customers. When planning your construction work, you should check if there are pipelines nearby.

If so, you may need our approval before you start working. You must then apply to us in accordance with the 2010 Building Code. These are enforced by the local authorities, but they have a duty to consult us if they know that a sewer could be built. Your architect, builder, water utility or sewer specialist can help you find sewer pipes that run under your property so you know what impact they will have on your plans. It is best to answer this question during the “Feasibility Study” part of your project to be sure that your plans will not need to be changed at a later date. This is especially important if your job requires a building permit, as changes to the customization of sewer lines can mean resubmission of plans, costing you more time and money. CBA applications are usually processed within three weeks. Once the agreement is issued, you can start working immediately. Delays are usually due to the fact that applications are submitted with missing drawings or information. A construction agreement is required by the water utilities for all construction work above public sewers or within 3 m of one. This obligation is even anchored as an alliance in the documents of some more modern characteristics. For many homeowners, a property may not seem complete until an extension or veranda has been built to the side or extends to the front or back.

In these cases, it may require the construction of public drains or sewers to create the desired effect of your new interior. However, it won`t be easy to continue your work, as you may need a build-over agreement before you`ll be allowed to run your project. You must ask us for a construction contract if: We need to know the construction work that is above or near a public sewer in order to: Although the requirements of the water authority are different, you may be able to apply for a self-certified building permit if: There are circumstances in which you are denied permission to build any form of extension directly above a public sewer. These include: With almost 450,000km of sewer pipes in the UK running under roads and gardens, as well as under fields and other land, there`s a chance there will be a public sewer near your site. Building on top of or near a sewer pipe could mean damaging the pipe itself or the property itself, while it`s also important for the water company to be able to access and maintain its sewers over time. You may be able to obtain build-over consent with self-certification, or you may need to request a formal build-over agreement. It depends on the specifics of your property and your plans. A superstructure agreement may be needed if you plan to build something new – whether it`s a house, extension or garage – and there`s a public channel where you want to position your new building.

If all sewers on your property are under your responsibility (i.e. These are private sewers), you don`t need a planning agreement, although you may still need a building permit for some extensions. If you need one of our field service technicians to conduct an on-site visit, we can usually bring you someone within a week. * There is also a legal fee for Class 3 sewer construction agreements, usually around £550 If there is piping near where you want to build, it can affect the design of the building. In addition to reviewing the local authority`s building codes, it is important that you work with us to ensure that the piping is protected and that our access to it is not restricted. Of course, you want to avoid a situation where the water authority can demolish part of your building, but if you built over the sewer pipe after October 2011, the options are either to solve the problems; We must conduct CCTV investigations before and after your work, and a building control officer from the local authority must also inspect the work. If the self-certification criteria are not met and a construction agreement is deemed necessary, various restrictions may apply. These vary depending on the water authority, but can usually include the following: In addition to filling out the application form and paying the appropriate fee, you`ll need to submit a few basic scale drawings of your home, extension, and drainage system. Typical examples are listed below. Water utilities may have slightly different requirements.

You can usually base them on modified copies of the drawings used for design applications, download our brochure to learn more about building a sewer. Nor will we allow the construction of pipes or pumping or ascending sewers. If a construction contract has not been concluded, the seller should have a CCTV inspection of the sewer carried out and transmit the images to the water company. If the water company is satisfied that the sewer is in good condition, it will issue an administrative letter confirming that the sewer is in good condition. The customer`s letter generally satisfies the buyer and his mortgage lender that the water company is not taking steps to demolish the offensive building above the public sewer. There is a monster on our website and we need your help! This little animal is hiding somewhere on one of our blog posts. Help us find it and win a prize! All the work is done quickly and efficiently because we have all the necessary knowledge, tools and equipment for each task, developed and perfected over the years, we have taken care of the drains of our customers .. .